Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Why do we play?

The same thing that makes me want to rip out my heart and give up cards apparently makes me want to write. Bad beats frustrate poker players to no end.
But, "bad beat" is a term overused in card rooms and at dining tables, up there on the poker cliche board with "that's poker."
Tuesday night I truly suffered at the hands of a "bad beat."
Playing in a recreational, super-fun .25-.50 cash game, I raised to $2.50 with Ks-Kh. World Series of Poker main event veteran Tony Marquis (he played once!) made a big deal of my preflop raise! "Whoooaaaa!," he quipped.
The loosest player at the game raised all in. With $15.50 left, it was an instant call. He had 4c-4h. I was a 4-to-1 favorite preflop.
The flop was A-J-2, all spades. I just improved to 95 percent. Then it came ... the 4 of diamonds, the only ... I stress ONLY ... card he could catch to beat me.
With a 1-in-5 chance to hit a spade or king, the river was a blank, I was busted, and with that kind of luck, I passed my chips over and left.
Perhaps I was fortunate I did not have more money on me. Probably not, though.
A guy that plays that fast and loose is begging for someone to take his chips. I didn't quite have the necessary $20 to rebuy, but someone would have given it to me. The emotional side of me said, "Leave, it's going to be that type of night."
The balanced poker player in me said, "Stay, and you'll get your chips back, plus some."
Emotions won out.
I joked with friends this week I would retire after some rough outings (see previous blogs!) and one night of just foolish play. I can tell you I never got lucky with a one outer! Two tournament wins over the weekend, one when I suffered another river suckout to cripple me early -- only to come back with 1/4 a starting stack -- renewed my spirit.
Truth is, I want to play again. Now. With the lucky f-er that risked $18 on 4s. With Doyle Brunson, Joe Sebok, Ben Affleck ... anyone.
My day will come. That much I know.
What I don't know is if I'll ever make a stupid decision, catch a one-outer and bust someone out of a game.
At least I'd apologize.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What makes you think Ben Affleck wants to play with you?

2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Ben. It was a sign of respect. I'd much rather play with Jennifer.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home