Friday, March 02, 2007

LA Poker Classic

I assume the next step in my unlimited-step poker addiction program is watching the World Series of Poker main event final table live on pay-per-view. Of course, it would be great to have a seat at the table to watch the action, and make a nice bank, but let's be realistic.
Over the last few years, I have monitored the WSOP through Paul "Pauly" McGuire's Tao of Poker Web site (http://taopoker.blogspot.com/). He does live updates, offers interesting commentary (not always just about poker!) and keeps you well informed about the action.
I'll stick with Pauly again, probably even if I watch the final live.
In the interim, I've been keeping up with some big events through cardplayer.com. For instance, the LA Poker Classic wrapped up Thursday (Pauly covered it, too). I will not need to wait until the World Poker Tour broadcast to catch the winner.
Here's the good news for me and you: Eric Hershler took the $2.4 million top prize, outlasting top pros like J.C. Tran, Chau Giang and Paul Wasicka, the 2006 WSOP runner-up. Why is that good for guys like us? It was Hershler's first live tournament, according to Card Player, and it just goes to show you this is a game where anyone can win.
A few years ago, when I wrote a poker story and interviewed ESPN poker color analyst Norman Chad, he had a great comment along those lines. He said we could play Tiger Woods or Roger Federer, and we'd get beat 100 times out of 100 games. In poker, on any night, he said, you or I could beat Johnny Chan or Phil Ivey.
There's hope!
On to my own game, my bad run of luck in tournaments continued at a $50, 36-person freeze out at my favorite spot to play. That's a big tournament for me!
Short-stacked with one limper, I pushed all in, only to get two calls. With Q-J of clubs, I was looking to pick up the blinds and the chips of a limper. I knew I was behind, and pocket Aces and K-Q suited confirmed that. (Surprisingly, according to cardplayer.com's odds calculator, I was actually a very slight favorite over the K-Q of spades, while the aces were almost 70 percent to win.)
After a rainbow flop of 8-9-10, I took the lead! The aces, at this point, were 3 percent to win.
The turn was a 10, and so was the river, and the guy with aces got a runner-runner boat to kick me to the curb. Ouch.
Keep hitting the felts, and don't forget: If you want to improve, know the score. Log your results, take notes, and get serious about the game. You might be the next Eric Hershler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home